Montego Bay is the fourth largest city in Jamaica after Spanish Town, Kingston, and Portmore. Montego Bay is the capital city of the Parish of St. James and is the second-largest Anglophone in the Caribbean.
Montego Bay is a hotspot tourist destination owing to its expansive coastline, amazing beaches, fresh seafood, friendly locals, resorts, and amazing tourist destinations. Uncover more facts about Montego Bay so that you are well aware of the city and know what’s coming your way when you visit Montego Bay.
Book early, book cheap today from Frontier Airlines Reservations. Complete your booking online from the comfort of your home when you choose to work with our travel experts.
Here are some interesting facts about Montego Bay you haven’t heard before:
- Montego Bay is enclosed by a watershed which is drained by several rivers like the Montego Bay. In fact, the city has been nicknamed as the Second City, MoBay, or Bay.
- Donald Sangster International Airport is one of the busiest Airports in the Anglophone Caribbean.
- In 1494 Christopher Columbus visited Montego Bay and named it as Golfo de Buen Tiempo or the Fair-Weather Gulf. Montego Bay’s name is believed to be originated from the Spanish word –Manteca owing to the heavy export of beef, leather, and lard.
- Most of the population is African descent and a sizeable population belongs to East Indians and Chinese who arrived here as indentured servants during the 19th century.
- There is a wide variety of Christians-the chief denominations being Protestant, there are also minute communities of Buddhists, Muslims, and Hindus.
- Some of the most popular tourist attractions in Montego Bay include Doctors Cave Bathing Club, Doctors Cave Beach, Sam Sharpe Square, Fort Montego, Montego Bay Cruise Port, etc.
For more blogs and travel information you can call our customer support or check out Frontier Airlines.